The Old Boys’ Club is at it again. Elizabeth May has been denied entry into the televised leaders’ debates.
What kind of democracy excludes a party with the support of one million of its citizens?
What kind of democracy allows a handful of TV executives to decide that a party that only runs candidates in one province has more right to be in a national leaders’ debate than a party with candidates in every riding?
In the last election, your voices won Elizabeth her rightful place in the debates. We can’t believe that we have to ask you to rally on her behalf yet again. But we do.
Here’s what you can do:
- Text EMAYIN to 79999;
- Attend a rally in your area (Toronto April 7, Montreal April 8, Halifax April 9, Hamilton April 10, Vancouver April 11);
- Send a text message to the Chair of the Media Consortium, Mr. Troy Reeb of Global TV at 647-261-3752;
- Email the news directors at CBC, CTV, Global, and TVA;
- Contribute to the legal fund to help the Green Party fight the good fight;
- Email the party leaders: Stephen Harper, Jack Layton, Michael Ignatieff, and Gilles Duceppe;
- Tweet your feelings: use hashtag #EMayIn;
- Post a link to the petition to demand democratic debates on your facebook page;
- Spread the word any other way you can.
We did it in 2008 – let’s do it in 2011!